Vocation and Career
Generally, vocation and career are used interchangeably. Vocational education might be classified as teaching procedural knowledge. This may be contrasted with declarative knowledge, as used in education in a usually broader scientific field, which might concentrate on theory and abstract conceptual knowledge, characteristic of tertiary education.
Vocational education can be at the secondary or post-secondary level and can interact with the apprenticeship system. Increasingly, vocational education can be recognised in terms of recognition of prior learning and partial academic credit towards tertiary education (e.g., at a university) as credit; however, it is rarely considered in its own form to fall under the traditional definition of a higher education.
Up until the end of the twentieth century, vocational education focused on specific trades such as for example, an automobile mechanic or welder, and was therefore associated with the activities of lower social classes. As a consequence, it attracted a level of stigma. Vocational education is related to the age-old apprenticeship system of learning.
However, as the labor market becomes more specialized and economies demand higher levels of skill, governments and businesses are increasingly investing in the future of vocational education through publicly funded training organizations and subsidized apprenticeship or traineeship initiatives for businesses. At the post-secondary level vocational education is typically provided by an institute of technology, or by a local community college.
- List of Annexures required for the approval of New Vocational Courses for AY 2020-21
- List of New Institutes Approved to run Vocational courses in the AY 2019-20
- List of Institutions approved in AY 2018-19 and recommended to run Vocational Courses under NSQF in the AY 2019-20
- NSQF Notification
- Important Links of Vocational Education
- Skill Knowledge Providers
- National Employability Enhancement Mission (NEEM)
- SAMVAY Link
- Process to approve Entrepreneurial Degree/Diploma Programs
- Awareness Workshop to run Entrepreneurial Degree/Diploma Programme
- Sample Model Curriculum for Entrepreneurial Degree/Diploma Courses
- Sample copies of the Letters issued by Council for affiliation