About the CellSwayam Cell deals with development of SWAYAM MOOCs platform with the objective of taking best teaching learning resources to all, including the most disadvantaged by bridging the digital divide of students who have hitherto remained untouched by the digital revolution and have not been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Responsible for development and design of SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds) Platform for hosting Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in terms of MHRD’s OM No.8-26/2014-TEL (Pt).), dated 21st March, 2016 through blending academics with technology.
- Responsible to develop SWAYAM Platform to harness multi party involvement in education by blending expertise from multiple domains and making effective use of state of the art pedagogy/technology; audio-video & multimedia.
- Responsible for procurement of the required resources for continuous operationalisation and smooth functioning of the SWAYAM Platform.
- Responsible to enable a transformative change in India’s educational outcomes by extending the requisite reach and access to quality education at competitive economies of scale.
- Responsible to offer maximum number of online courses catering to the needs of students from Class IX up to Post Graduate levels, free of cost to learners, except for a small fee to be charged for certification on successful completion of the Course.
- Responsible to achieve the vision of hosting 10,000 online Courses for 30 million learners/students.
- Responsible through PIs and National Coordinators for creation of e-contents on Courses from School Secondary level till Post Graduation, covering all disciplines, to be made available on the SWAYAM Platform.
- Responsible for creating online courses/inter-disciplinary Courses for SWAYAM Platform for self-paced learning in various areas, like, Yoga, GST, Economic Survey, Skill Development, Panchayati Raj, etc. from different Government Departments/Ministries/Autonomous Bodies/Institutions in India through inviting Expression of Interest (EOI) as per SWAYAM MOOCs Guidelines.
- Responsible for Curriculum bases Courses in new disciplines for SWAYAM (medicine, law, humanities and social sciences, agriculture, commerce, management, inter-disciplinary areas);
- Making Students employable in the Industry or pursue a suitable higher education programm.
- There has been a major paradigm shift in higher education in the recent years, from developing cognitive and non-cognitive skills within the confines of a classroom to technology based online learning, which is a flexible anyone, anytime, anywhere Platform with the advent of MOOCs. SWAYAM being the India Chapter on MOOC is rightly poised at this juncture to bring transformative changes in educational outcomes by extending reach and access to quality education at economical costs.
- SWAYAM has an educational as well as a technology aspect. It has been instrumental in bringing an amalgamation of educational and technology partners under one umbrella at a pan-India level. It is a big step towards accumulating knowledge and democratization of education.